A blackhead is a blackish plug found in the skin of a person. These are mainly found on the face and more prominently on or around the nose and on the ears. They can also appear on other parts of the body. There is a misconception that blackheads are caused by poor hygiene or improper cleaning of the face. In fact, they are caused by excess oil that has accumulated in the glands. The oil secretion, when it comes in contact with the atmosphere, due to oxidation the oily secretion gets blackish or yellowish color.
Since blackheads are formed in the pores of the skin, their size varies according to different pores. To get rid of them, the pores are cleaned and the black heads are removed. There is no specific age at which these start to appear. However, mostly these appear at the age of puberty, as this is the time when lots of hormonal changes take place.
For treatment, some of the below mentioned remedies can be tried:
- One of the remedies is to keep the face free from oil. For this, it can be washed with warm water mixed with salt. Alternatively, the face can also be washed with warm water using some mild soap. This should be done twice a day.
- If the black heads are large or concentrated in certain areas, a light film of toothpaste, and not tooth gel, should be applied and left overnight. Next morning the face should be washed with warm water.
- There are certain Ayurvedic remedies for treatment and prevention of black heads. Application of Aloe Vera gel on the face will help remove black heads in a very short time. Another Ayurvedic remedy suggested is application of paste of fenugreek or methi leaves on the face for about half an hour. This will help prevent blackheads from appearing. This will also help prevent wrinkles.
- Strawberry leaves are alkaline in nature. These can be placed on the face. The alkaline constituents of the leaves will help clean the oily pores. Lemon juice has acidic properties and is very helpful in removing black heads. The lemon juice can be mixed with an equal quantity of rose water. Rose water also helps to remove blemishes from the skin. Mint juice is also helpful to treat blackheads.
- Packs are available at the medical stores for removal of blackheads. After removing the protective layer this is pressed on the skin and pulled off after some time. When pulled off, the black heads will also come out of the pores. After that, the face should be washed with warm water. Before using, do read the instructions printed on the packing.